Written by Omaha Trails Hits: 8727
Prairie View is a recent addition to the Omaha trail system. It is located on the western boundaries of the metropolitan area adjacent to the upscale Newport Landings development. Most of this path consists of small crushed rock approximately six feet wide and subsequently is unfriendly to bikers and impossible for in-lane skaters. There is however a paved section running parallel to 180th Street which connects to the paved trail that surrounds the Newport Landings to the east.
There is an abundance of wildlife in the area including geese, ducks, Egret and Great Blue Heron, which can be seen frequently around the lake and surrounding fields. This are some trees on the west section of the trail, near one of the two foot bridges, but no shade is provided near the picnic areas.
The area has a paved parking lot, covered picnic area and nice restrooms. A boat ramp and dock were new additions in 2005.
The trail will eventually tie into the Military Trail and Fort Street systems.
Length: 1.69 miles
Surface: Crushed Rock
CLICK HERE for a PDF printable map.
- No trail markings
- Trail path is narrow and varies from gravel to concrete
- Foot bridges are open metail planking and are difficult for walking dogs
- Currently connects only to the Newport Landing Trail.
- In-line skates are not possible in its current condition.
- Not overly utilized so not too crowded
- Nice restrooms and picnic areas
- Boat ramp and dock
- Great view of both lakes and beautiful lakeside homes
- Good for wildlife viewing
- Parking facilities
To navigate the map you can click on your left mouse button and drag the map in any direction. You can either use the zoom tool on the upper right corner of the map or the zoom wheel on your mouse to zoom in or out on the map.
If you know of any trail features we should add, please do not hesitate to contact us with suggestions.